As the name suggests a Gastroenterologist is a doctor with dedicated training and experience in the management of diseases concerned with the gastrointestinal tract and the liver.
What Is Gastroenterology?
It is a study of the normal functioning and diseases concerned with the esophagus, small intestine, stomach, colon, rectum and pancreas, gall bladder, liver, and bile ducts.
What Does the Study Incorporate?
- It involves a complete understanding of the average action of the gastrointestinal organs including the movement of food through stomach all the way to the intestine.
- It also understands the digestion and absorption of nutrients into the body.
- Thirdly it explains the removal of waste from the system and the function of the liver as a digestive organ.
- It studies the critical conditions such as colon polyps; gastroesophageal reflux is commonly known as the heartburn, hepatitis, peptic ulcer disease, colitis, gallbladder and also biliary tract disease.
In essence, a Gastroenterologist studies the normal activity and the conditions related to the digestive organs as a part of the survey.
When Should I see a Gastroenterologist?
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Bleeding in the digestive tract
- Constipation and diarrhea
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Gallbladder diseases
- Inflammation in the digestive tract
- Liver disease
- Stomach upset, vomiting or nausea
- Unexplained Weight Loss
- Heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux
- Malabsorption disorders
- Diverticular and other diseases of the colon
What Makes Gastroenterologist Unique?
The training that these specialists receive provides them the ability to offer high quality and comprehensive care to their patients with a wide variety of gastrointestinal problems. They perform a greater part of their time in researching gastrointestinal endoscopic procedures and then interpret the results based on the results. They are considered experts in the field of digestion and its disorders. They are trained to perform high-quality colonoscopy examinations and the comprehensive consultative services when compared to the other specialists.
These conditions translate into more accurate detection of cancer and polyps by colonoscopy. It also means that the patient is in good hands and has a fewer complication and spends relatively fewer days in the hospital. It is one area that provides accurate, complete and thorough care to the patients with gastrointestinal conditions which typically distinguishes these specialists from the other physicians in the field, that provide more or less similar services.
There are few best gastroenterologist in Chennai were you can treat and cure any problems. Thats the reason why Chennai is growing as one of the global medical hubs.