You need to have sustained energy, and this is done by having a combination of protein and carbs. The carbs fuel the workout and protein are great for the muscles. The snack should be eaten at least 30 minutes before the workout.
We give you a list of yummy snacks that can be eaten Pre-workout:
- Oatmeal and Milk– Add some berries to make it flavourful.
- Bananas: Bananas have fast acting carbohydrates and are excellent to fuel your workout. It also supplies the body with potassium which helps in strengthening muscle and nerve function.
- Smoothies: A strawberry- banana smoothie is great before a workout session, add some almonds to make it even better. It keeps you energised and gives the much-needed boost to the body for an hour long workout.
- Chickpeas: This is a wonder pre-workout snack. It does not need any cooking, just boil a handful of them and season it with some lemon juice.
- Whole Wheat Toast with Cinnamon and Banana: A deadly combination, the toast, and the fruit both are types of carbs, and the bonus is it is super easy to digest. Cinnamon is said to stabilize blood sugar and thus improve body function.
- Egg whites: Because the fat in whole egg is metabolized slowly, egg whites are a much better pre-workout snack. It provides 4 gram of protein and no fat.
- Dried Fruits and Nuts: A great snack before the workout, have a handful of them and get instant energy. Apricots, Dried Berries, Almonds do wonders.
- Apple with Almond Butter: Avoid sugar and have this miracle fruit instead. To keep your stomach from yapping add some almond butter on the slices.
- Flavoured Milk: Add some chocolate to your milk, it offers protein and carbs for muscle recovery.
- Brown Rice: If you work out after a meal like lunch or dinner eat something that would provide fuel and have minimal fat. Carbohydrates in Brown rice and wheat bread help sustain the energy production.
Remember to eat something, not eating and losing weight is only a myth. Be sure you give a gap of 30-45 Minutes between eating and exercising. The portion of snack varies depending on the intensity of the workout and the size of your body. Drink lots of water before the workout session to keep you hydrated. Also, keep sipping water in between to avoid dehydration. Now you know your diet before your workout session whether it is a gym, yoga, running, cycling or even swimming.