As parents, we are keen to inculcate the right habits in children. One of them is the Oral and Dental Hygiene; it is important that kids know what brushing their teeth can do to their teeth. We are aware that if proper oral hygiene is not maintained, your child might have dental problems early. As new parents, you might be clueless about what age the kids should visit the dentist??? This post will give you all the information you need on Oral Hygiene and Dental care for kids.
Why Is Dental Care So Important??
At an early age, the food articles might be stuck in between the kids’ teeth if it is not brushed or rinsed well. It can also lead to bacteria and infection and an acid build up in the kid’s mouth. The acid in the enamel might also erode gradually and create dents popularly known as cavities.
Below are some Oral Hygiene Instructions for kids that can help keep cavities at bay:
- Inculcate the habit of Oral Hygiene since they are young- As parents you might think the kid is too young, but the fact is it is never too early to inculcate the necessary oral habits in kids. Basic rules like brushing the teeth twice daily and practicing the right technique of brushing can save them from dental problems.
- Once the kid starts getting his permanent teeth, visit the dentist, and he might be able to teach your kid the need to follow proper dental hygiene like brushing twice a day, washing the mouth properly and flossing.
- If the kid wears a brace, the kid can carry a small dental kit with him wherever he goes.
- Using toothpaste that contains fluoride will help in making the enamel strong and protect the teeth against cavities.
- From the very starting do not let the kid have unhealthy foods. Sugary and sticky foods like chocolates, candies, fizzy drinks, and packed juices might cause maximum damage to the kid’s dental health.
- In India, we are not accustomed to the habit of flossing, but ask the dentist to teach your kid the right way to floss the teeth regularly.
- It is highly important for the kid to brush before bedtime. It helps in removing the leftover food traces and germs from the mouth. In case the kid does not do this regularly, the food articles might remain stuck between his teeth causing bacteria.
What Happens at the First Dental Visit?
The doctor carries out the essential examination of the kid’s teeth and the gums and can ask some simple questions on daily hygiene practices. If, in case, the kid is at a risk of developing cavities then the doctor might recommend topical fluoride, sometimes even if all his teeth have not appeared yet. This solution helps in strengthening the enamel of the kid’s teeth. In Big cities such as Chennai, to find the best dentist in Chennai and research on thier speciality one should consult a expert so its difficult to finding the right doctor in their locality. So few healthcare software companies came up with an alternate plan to help people to meet the best doctors based on specality, fees and distance from their location.
Sometimes the kid might be suffering from a problem that might require a more complicated solution. In this case, the dentist might administer the kid with a dose of anaesthesia. On the occasion of world health day, the world dental federation has also released an e-book to educate children about oral hygiene. This fun e-book is called “The Tooth Thief”.