Hypothyroidism is also referred to as the underactive thyroid disease. It is one of the most common disorder is women these days. In this condition, the thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid hormone. Our thyroid gland is located in the front lower part of the neck. Hormones released by this gland travel through the blood stream and effect every part of the body from the heart to the brain, to the muscles and even the skin.
Your thyroid control how the body cells use the energy from the food and this process is called the metabolism. Amongst other things the metabolism affects the body’s temperature and the heartbeat and also the efficiency of the body to lose weight. If the body does not have enough thyroid hormone it processes a slowdown which also means the body makes less energy and thus making the metabolism more sluggish.
What Causes Hypothyroidism?
It is caused by the inflammation of the thyroid gland and is an autoimmune disorder. I this condition called Hashimoto’s the body produces antibodies that attack and destroy the thyroid gland. The primary cause of this condition apart from the use of certain medications is too little iodine in the diet. The thyroid gland needs iodine to produce the hormone, if the body does not make enough iodine, then you might have to provide it through the diet.
The Hypothyroidism Diet:
The diet of a hypo Thyroid patient should have a nutritional balance and should aid in recovery from deficiencies like iodine, selenium which often hamper the thyroid functioning in the body.
Hypothyroidism patient should avoid potatoes, yams, pasta and sweet potatoes. Instead, they should have fibre rich foods like whole cereals, whole pulses, and vegetables. Once you start losing weight, the body cells will become more responsive to insulin.
- Restrict foods rich in high glycaemic index like white bread, refined flour, cakes and muffins, rich desserts etc.
- The diet should be rich in iodine and selenium because the problem aggravates when the patient Is suffering from an iron deficiency.
- Other nutrients that boost thyroid functions are zinc, Niacin, and Vitamin E which are available in plenty in fruit nuts, green leafy vegetables and whole cereals.
- Water retention in the body can be lowered with the help of the following tips:
- Have plain salad without salt
- Avoid salted nuts, pickles, salted crackers, sauces, etc.
- Avoid fried food as it takes longer time to digest and make you feel bloated and heavy
- Exercise for more than 30 minutes daily, as the body with hypothyroidism takes longer to lose weight.
- Avoid having raw vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, etc.
- Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water
- Go for a brisk walk for 15 mins after each meal
- Include tender coconut water, lemon water and lots of fruits in the diet.
- Eat slowly- it helps the food digest
- Stress is a big no-no. Do not binge on unhealthy food and avoid over eating.
- Deep breathing exercises can help take in more oxygen and release more carbon dioxide
- Reduce consumption of coffee. Weaning off stimulants like tea, coffee and soda can help the adrenal gland to perform at a reasonable pace.
Chennai is developing as one of the global Medical hubs for thyroid treatment. Some of the best ophthalmologist in Chennai helps you bring down these symptoms and helps you over this hormonal disorder.